Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Having Trouble Sleeping

This doesn't happen to me very often but last night I had a little trouble sleeping. I woke up early in the AM and found myself reading and wondering why I couldn't sleep. I decided to check my e-mail, which I never do at the time of the morning, (Oh yeah because I'm never awake) and discovered that a lady in our church had e-mailed with a request to pray for her son and their entire family. I knew right away why I was awake. So I turned off my computer, hit my spot and started hanging out with my Heavenly Father in prayer.

So why am I blogging about this?

Well, we're in this series right now called "Pillars" and we are discussing some of the spiritual disciplines that should be part of the life of a follower of Christ. One of the disciplines we discussed a few weeks ago was prayer and I have been trying to stay more aware and more sensitive to the needs and happenings in my world.

In Matthew 6 Jesus teaches on the importance of prayer. In that teaching He points out to us that our Father knows what we have need of before we even ask. Today was proof of that. God woke me up to pray for somebody who has no idea when I ever get up. They would have never called on me at that time of the morning to get up and pray but God did. That's because He knew what they had need of before they even asked.

Turns out it's what I needed too! In 2 hours this morning I have gotten more done and spent more quality time with God than I usually get in half a day and this is before I am ever normally up. I think this morning will turn out to shape a new direction in my disciplines for the days ahead.

The discipline of prayer is about learning to trust like learning to walk!

Trust today that as you take your needs and issues to your Heavenly Father He knows what you have need of before you even ask. Don't be shy and wonder how to talk to Him. Just talk to Him! He's listening and He cares greatly for you, neighbor!

1 comment:

Largaespada Family said...

Oh, I just love when God moves in extraordinary ways! That is an incredible story to share. So many times we complain about bumps in the road (or lack of sleep) when we should be asking the Lord why the bump is there! I love when we are able to stop and recognize the Lord at work. It's not just a coincidence, but a moment given to you see his Glory!

Love it!
Jaime