Thursday, May 1, 2008

DESIRE

I'm almost finished reading a book by John Eldredge called "Desire." He also authored "Wild at Heart" (which by the way we will be doing a men's study through in the next couple of weeks) and both books have really had a great impact on my life. The essence of "Desire" is that we all have one and if we are not careful we can loose it or it can be taken away from us.

In order to be who I believe we were created to be we must posses a desire to live a life filled with passion and purpose. Eldredge says, "There is a secret set within each of our hearts. It is the desire for life as it was meant to be." I know that to be so true!

For far too long too many people in our culture have taken their cues from culture. I believe that as followers of Christ we have been called to influence culture and create culture but not take our cues from it. There is a lot we can learn about ourselves and our world from our culture and I think while we don't get our direction from it we must engage in it in order to make a difference. However, Jesus said "we are to be in it but not if it..."

My greatest desire at this stage of my life is to know God more, to know what it looks like to be His follower in this culture that I find myself in and to invite others on the journey. As we walk with God may we keep hold of our desire and may He increase our desire to know Him more!

No comments: