Friday, April 25, 2008

THE ART OF SLOWING DOWN

So my camping trip and alone time with my family has come to an end and I'm back to the "real world", or was that the real world that I just came out of. So much of what God is speaking into my life right now is so counter cultural (meaning that it goes totally against almost everything I see and here in this culture). As I examine the life of Christ I see a man who accomplished so much in such a short time and yet never seemed to be in a hurry. I think in this world we live in that slowing down and learning to move at a slower pace really is an art and most will never even give it a chance.
While camping one of my highlights was cooking almost all of our meals on an open fire. (You should try it sometime) I found that it really takes some time and made me enjoy both the cooking and eating that much more.
One of the questions that Carey and I came home with was, "How do we learn to apply our experiences from this week to our everyday lives?" This week at least once I will spend the evening in the back yard with my girls cooking over an open fire. Maybe we've started a new tradition! Wait, that's not new, our ancestors did that every night. I wonder if their stress levels where lower than ours?

No comments: