Thursday, August 28, 2008

Contemplative Practices

Over the last year I have stepped into a new arena with my "discipline of prayer". I've heard a lot about meditation over the years and have even considered myself to walk in that at some points of my journey but making it a regular part of my walk has been a rewarding adventure.

I'm not going to say a lot here because my feeling is that this is probably a fairly new area for most Christ followers so we will take it slow and unpack a few thoughts over the next several days.

In Psalm 104:34 the psalmist said, "May my meditation be pleasing to Him, as I rejoice in the Lord." Now, speaking of prayer that is a good prayer to have in our hearts and on our lips. Lord, may my meditation be pleasing to you! I guess if I'm going to pray that prayer then I should have some time of meditation.

I'm reading a book right now called "The Cloud of Unknowing", which I don't necessarily recommend, but am enjoying even though it's a tough read. It was written in the late 14th century by an anonymous English Monk. Here's a quote:
"Lift up your heart to God with a humble impulse of love and have himself as your aim, not any of his goods..."

The way we make God our aim and not any of His goods is to discipline ourselves with some time of contemplative practice and exercise. For me this has been expressed in recent days in a practice called centering prayer. It is a 20 minute time of prayer where I sit in silence and learn to "let go" of the thoughts as they arise in my heart and mind.

One of the premier voices on the subject of centering prayer is Father Thomas Keating. You can read a little bit about him by clicking here. For the next several days I will invite you into my life and practice of centering prayer.

For today let me just give you a simple challenge. Try spending 10-15 minutes at some point today sitting in total silence. Find a place that is quiet and free from distractions and interruptions. As you sit, there will be 1000 thoughts that flood your way but try and let them go and don't give any of them your attention.

It won't be easy. That's why I call it a CHALLENGE! Are you up for it?

No comments: