Tuesday, June 3, 2008

DECONSTRUCTION

Now that's an odd title for a post from me. My background, before I stepped in the world of church planting, was construction. (I can hear the thoughts, "how in the world did you make that leap?") We'll save that for another post. The major dialog, among the guys I'm hanging in Indiana with, today was about deconstruction within the church. For the last several months a group of us have worked through many books and one of them was John Caputo's, "What would Jesus Deconstruct?" Now there's a question for you to ponder. When I read the title a few months back my first thought was, "Everything we have constructed..." That may be a little bold or even hard but I wonder how much of what we do in our churches causes Jesus to scratch his head in wonder. We had some great conversation and I wouldn't even begin to try and unwrap very much of it here but two things I know for sure.
1) Deconstruction is HARD WORK!
2) We MUST do it anyway!
For those of you who are part of the family we call LifePoint you may not like some of the hard conversations we have in the days ahead but we have to begin to ask the questions.
Are we really who God has called us to be?
Are we really doing the things He has called us to do?
For those of you not a part of LifePoint, you may want to ask those questions in your world.
Tomorrow promises to be another challenging day as we continue our discussions here near "Touchdown Jesus" (that's South Bend Indiana) but I embrace the dialog and will post again after the day is over.

No comments: