Wednesday, July 2, 2008

In Search of Silence

That sounds like the title to a great book or movie! It may be but it's not one I have read. (maybe I'll write it one day)
It has, however, been the them of my life for the past several months. I find myself having a deep desire to experience more and more silence. I've discovered on this journey that there really are two obstacles to silence:
1) All the external noise that I subject myself to
2) All the internal noise that roars around inside my own head

For months now I have found myself riding down the road with the radio off or sitting in the house with the TV off, which is a really good idea, by the way. I'm constantly looking for a quiet place to just be. However, when I find that place I do not necessarily experience real silence.

I'm learning that there is a lot more noise going on inside of me than there is outside. So my journey has had me learning to be more contemplative of certain thoughts and at the same time trying to learn to let go of more and more thoughts.

Here's a funny thing; The # 1 question I have been asked in recent days has been, "Are you OK?" People don't like silence and so when this guy who struggles with that starts seeking it the world around me is uncomfortable. That may be another obstacle to true silence.

In order to really hear from God I need to quit listening to Joe and at times others. I've got a long way to go on this journey but I am committed to discovering more and more quiet places and then learning to get quiet when I find them. We'll dive into some of this in a series next month.
Until then the journey continues!

3 comments:

Chris said...

"I'm learning that there is a lot more noise going on inside of me than there is outside."

Dude, that's so obvious, and yet it slips my mind all the time... it's like I am one of Wormwood's unlucky targets. I will either forget all about inner silence, focusing my attention on arriving at the "Wild Lonely Places", or strain heroically, reaching for inner peace with so much effort, I become distracted by the sound of the resulting brain hemorrhage... lol. I think for me, so much of "learning to get quiet when I find them" boils down to having faith that "Papa is fond of me" and relaxing in that knowlege- kinda "Zen and the Art of Spiritual Maturity", If that makes sense. It's sure a lot easier to verbalize, than it is for me to get that knowledge from my head to my heart. Thanks for a great post.

Largaespada Family said...

I know your talking about silence...but I have a great song for you to hear (if you havn't already). And I guess, no silence for that moment. Ha! It's a few years old by Watermark called "STILL." I struggle with silence and I wish I could be "Still" more often. We definately live in a fast paced society that needs to be entertained. Silence is hard to come by.

Hoping to visit in a few weeks!

Jaime Larg...

Unknown said...

Chris,
I'm with you on the inside noise man!You are dead on, knowing that Papa is fond of us helps us to be silent or at least come closer to it.

Jaime,
I love the song! Thanks for the reminder. Can't wait to see you. Take care and tell the big guy I said hello! (That would be Jarrett) Not the biggest guy but a great guy none the less.